Rugby, Possibly the best sport in the World, So carlsberg would say but i say it is the greatest sport in the world. It brings together, passion, pride, determination and history. All that brings me back to 2009 when Ireland finally won the grand slam after 61 years.
When they won the Grand Slam it wasn’t only a win it was much more than that, at the time Ireland was in a recession since 2008 there were cutbacks, job loses and families were been ever so oppressed.
The six nations had started with a great win over France which had set peoples expectations for a grand slam. Irish Rugby continued on with wins over Italy, England then Scotland. It came down to an away match in Cardiff to Wales. Thousands of Irish traveled to the game but every one who called themselves Irish on that day where fully behind the team. Both teams were undefeated but one team wanted it, one Country and people needed it more than the other. That team was Ireland. No longer where we the underdogs of Rugby we had risen to the top after seven years of near misses and triple crowns Ireland had done it. “FINALLY THE GRAND SLAM”
This win brought together the peoples of Ireland with great pride in the national team just like Italia 90.
When it comes to ground roots rugby there is no better type of rugby, It offers a great feeling of warmness, togetherness and most of all a great sense of belonging and pride. Whether that’s winning a cup as a team and celebrating together, A casino night to fund a club gym or a rainy nights training leading up to a tough game on the weekend. All of this is what makes it fun and enjoyable to play club rugby.
Club rugby is a sport where you put so much trust in the guy standing beside you, to make that tackle, to ruck that ball, to catch, to run and to put him/herself in the firing line for the crest and fellow team mate. It takes so little to be part of so much and with so many.
- Rugby News: Wales defence guru Shaun Edwards to join London Irish (walesonline.co.uk)
- RugbyU: Edwards to join Exiles after Australia tour (vancouverdesi.com)
- Accies’ museum plans hailed (scotsman.com)
- Je suis Quinziste et Socialiste: Rugby, Wine and Socialism in the Aude since 1976 (ihrprojects.wordpress.com)
- My Inner Gollum – Brian Moore (recoverynetworktoronto.wordpress.com)
- Rugby News: Dan Lydiate determined to make most of rugby career after plight of retired Lloyd Burns (walesonline.co.uk)
- Rugby News: Rhys Priestland insists Grand Slam winners target Southern Hemisphere scalp (walesonline.co.uk)
- Out yonder waits the Saxon foe (economist.com)
- National Sport: Wallace calls time on playing career (coventrytelegraph.net)
- Live Sport Reports: Wallace calls time on playing career (walesonline.co.uk)